Jerry Jones previously said he likes to stir up controversy when things get quiet, and on Thursday, Aug. 28, he and the Dallas Cowboys did just that. After one of the strangest failed contract negotiations possibly in NFL history involving star pass-rusher Micah Parsons, the team threw in the towel on attempting to ink the four-time Pro-Bowler to a new deal.
Instead, the Cowboys granted Parsons his wish to be traded, sending him to the Green Bay Packers in exchange for two first-round draft picks and defensive tackle Kenny Clark, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported. However, amid all the drama and chaos that transpired on Thursday night, a report from one insider is bound to make many Cowboys fans struggle even more to cope with the loss of Parsons.
Micah Parsons Returned to Cowboys About Extension With ‘Empathy,’ but Received an Ultimatum
To make a head-scratching situation even more confusing, NFL Network insider Jane Slater revealed that Parsons told her that he went back to the Cowboys about an extension with “empathy” this week. The response from the team’s front office? According to Parsons, an ultimatum to either play on the fifth year of his rookie deal “or leave.”
I spoke with Micah Parsons this evening. He says “genuinely gonna miss ya’ll”
He says he and his team went back to the Cowboys about an extension with “empathy” when the trade interest was leaked this week.
The Cowboys response according to Parsons was “play on the 5th year…
— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) August 28, 2025
Shortly after the original post, Slater added that Jones “confirms this was said but won’t get into details of their interaction this week.”
The way things transpired with Parsons is even more surprising when considering Jones’s comments after the initial trade request came in. As ESPN’s Todd Archer revealed, the longtime Cowboys owner called the trade request “just a part of negotiation.” He also told fans not to “lose any sleep over [Parsons’] trade request.”
Obviously, something went south quickly, and for Jones and the Cowboys’ front office to essentially remove any consideration of a contract extension this offseason, it’s nothing short of a shocking turn of events. The Cowboys opted to issue an ultimatum in a moment where they could have potentially turned things around with Parsons (from the sound of it), but Jones and company chose to dig their heels into the sand.
Now, one of the NFL’s best defensive players is no longer in town, and the Cowboys’ chances of a playoff return look grim. Those two things combined are more than enough to make fans lose sleep.