Crystal Palace make decision on selling Liverpool target Marc Guehi – Bundlezy

Crystal Palace make decision on selling Liverpool target Marc Guehi

Crystal Palace v Nottingham Forest - Premier League
Will Marc Guehi leave Crystal Palace before deadline day (Photo: Getty)

In spite of Oliver Glasner’s demands, Crystal Palace are reportedly still prepared to sell Marc Guehi to Liverpool before deadline day – on one condition.

Guehi’s contract expires next year and with no intention of signing a new one, many expected the Palace captain to leave Selhurst Park this summer.

But with just three days left before the transfer window slams shut and despite strong interest from Liverpool and Manchester City, the England defender is still an Eagle.

The centre-back has played every minute of Palace’s 2025/26 campaign so far, helping them to an unbeaten Premier League start, Community Shield win and qualification for the Conference League league phase.

Speaking on Friday, Glasner said it was too late to sell the 25-year-old: ‘From my side, he has to [stay] because it’s not possible at the moment to find a Marc Guehi replacement who can play straight in the Premier League, being a starter, being consistent.

Your ultimate guide to the football season

Metro’s football newsletter: In The Mixer. Exclusive analysis, FPL tips and transfer talk sent straight to your inbox every Friday – sign up, it’s an open goal.

‘When we see our foundation of success in the last few months, it’s our defence… Marc is a crucial part. Getting the right replacement in now is almost impossible.’

However, BBC Sport report that if Palace are able to sign two centre-backs before deadline day they will sanction Guehi’s departure, with Liverpool ready to pounce.

Manchester City FC v Al-Hilal: Round Of 16 - FIFA Club World Cup 2025
Palace are among several clubs interested in Manuel Akanji (Photo: Getty)

Naturally, the Eagles would prefer not to lose their star player on a free transfer next summer and have held talks with the Reds, though an agreement is yet to be reached.

Palace rejected £70m from Tottenham for Guehi in January and currently value him at over £45m, though Liverpool are hoping to pay only £35m, seeking to improve their defence after a shaky start to the season.

It is said Palace are in advanced talks to sign highly-rated teenager Jaydee Canvot from Toulouse, with the 19-year-old en-route to south London to discuss personal terms.

AS Roma v Bologna FC 1909 - Serie A
Evan Ndicka is also on Palace’s shortlist (Photo: Getty)

Canvot’s arrival alone won’t change Guehi’s situation, with Palace also wanting a more experienced centre-back but that pursuit is proving difficult.

Sporting Lisbon’s Ousmane Diomande is their top target but is too expensive while Jakub Kiwior was a possibility but the Arsenal man only has eyes for Porto.

They are one of many clubs looking at Manuel Akanji but the Man City star has reservations over the transfer, while Roma’s Evan Ndicka is also of interest.

For now, it seems likely that Guehi will play on Sunday night when Palace travel to Aston Villa, but whether that will be his final game in red and blue remains to be seen.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

About admin