‘Absolutely not’ – Gary Neville says £50m signing is not good enough for Manchester United – Bundlezy

‘Absolutely not’ – Gary Neville says £50m signing is not good enough for Manchester United

Ex-Manchester United defender Gary Neville (Picture: YouTube)

Gary Neville and Roy Keane have expressed concern over two Manchester United midfielders.

The problems are piling up for Ruben Amorim just a few weeks into the new season.

United have taken just one point from their first two Premier League gamesand suffered an embarrassing Carabao Cup defeat to League Two side Grimsby Town on Wednesday night.

A lack of control in midfield has been a constant problem for Amorim’s side and Neville says the Portuguese boss ‘needs to sort out’ the fragility in the heart of his side.

That is easier said than done, however, with Neville declaring Manuel Ugarte ‘absolutely not’ a Manchester United player and Keane having reservations over Mason Mount.

Your ultimate guide to the football season

Metro’s football newsletter: In The Mixer. Exclusive analysis, FPL tips and transfer talk sent straight to your inbox every Friday – sign up, it’s an open goal.

United paid £50m to sign Ugarte from PSG in 2024 but the Uruguay international has failed to live up to expectations at Old Trafford.

The same can be said for England’s Mount, who completed a £60m move from Premier League rivals Chelsea in 2023.

Fulham v Manchester United - Premier League
Manchester United signed Manuel Ugarte from PSG (Picture: Getty)

Discussing another struggling midfielder in Kobbie Mainoo, Neville said on The Overlap: ‘I can’t help thinking that he [Ruben Amorim] doesn’t quite fancy him.

‘He’s never really put him it from the beginning. He’s gone with Casemiro and Fernandes but Amorim needs to sort the midfield out.

‘You can’t have that midfield. They’ve tried Mount, Fernandes, Ugarte, Casemiro but he’s changing a lot every game.’

Ex-Manchester United captain Keane then interjected and asked Neville whether the players he mentioned were ‘Man United players?’

Grimsby Town v Manchester United - Carabao Cup Second Round
Mason Mount before United’s defeat to Grimsby Town (Picture: Getty)

‘Ugarte, for me, absolutely not,’ Neville replied. ‘Mason Mount, to be fair, has done well the first two games but I’m not sure where he fits in.

‘I think Ruben Amorim really likes Mount.’

Keane then added: ‘Do you honestly think Mount’s going to get United back? I know Amorim likes him but that worries me. For me that’s a worry.’

Manchester United are believed to be open to offers for England international Mainoo, who has struggled for game-time so far this season.

United valued the 20-year-old at around £70m this time last year after Mainoo impressed for England at Euro 2024.

However, the Red Devils would reportedly accept an offer of just £45m for Mainoo given Amorim’s apparent concerns over the player.

That would be a similar fee Manchester United have accepted for winger Alejandro Garnacho, who is set to join Chelsea on a seven-year contract.

The Red Devils have also trimmed Amorim’s squad by agreeing to offload Rasmus Hojlund, while Jadon Sancho and Antony are also pushing to leave beyond the transfer deadline.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

About admin