Orlando Bloom dropped 50 pounds for his upcoming role in The Cut, something he says he “wouldn’t recommend to anyone.”
“It’s not something to take lightly,” Bloom, 48, said on his appearance on This Morning on Thursday. “I had a great nutritionist. I was recommended by one of my agents who worked with Christian Bale on some stuff, so he was checking my blood and stuff.”
The Pirates of the Caribbean star explained that his nutritionist, Phillip Goglia, slowly got him down to eating just one meal a day.
“Suddenly, all these foods were being taken away from me, and my protein powder was the last one,” Bloom said. “I was like ‘No! Don’t take that one.’ Then basically I came down to [eating] just tuna and cucumber for the last three weeks.”
The actor showed off his slimmed-down figure at the London screening of his upcoming movie. But, according to Bloom himself, he was “a horrible person to be around” while he was training for the role.
“Mentally, physically, I was hangry,” he said. “The paranoia, the intrusive thoughts. We’re supposed to eat and sleep and take care of ourselves. It’s really a commentary on the lengths a person will go to have that second shot. I think that’s so relatable.”
The British actor previously spilled the gruesome details of his mental state, in an interview with People.
“What I hadn’t expected and was surprised by was the mental toll that this kind of intense discipline takes,” he said earlier this month. “The paranoia and anxiety were very real and disturbing, caused by the lack of sleep — turns out you can’t sleep when you’re hungry.”
Bloom’s new film, in which he plays a former boxer training for a redemption fight, premieres in theaters September 5.