Why cars will be banned on Oxford Street next month – but only for one day – Bundlezy

Why cars will be banned on Oxford Street next month – but only for one day

People, cars and UK flags on Oxford Street in London.
The famous high street will look very different in the future, and Londoners can get a taste of it next month during one car-free day (Picture: Zuma Press/Shutterstock)

Oxford Street will become a car-free zone – but for one day only.

Plans are underway to ban vehicles on the iconic London shopping street for good as part of a long-awaited £150 million pedestrianisation.

The stunt next month will give people a taster of what’s to come for one day as the high street will be lined up with stalls, music and food.

The pedestrianisation proposal, revealed in February, will see the high street revamped into a European-style promenade to restore it to its ‘former glory’ after an exodus of shops.

A CGI visual showing what the pedestrianised Oxford Street could look like one day.
A CGI visual showing what the revamped and car-free Oxford Street could look like one day
(Picture: Mayor of London/PA Wire)

The London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, said he wants to ban traffic on the street ‘as quickly as possible,’ but the plan still needs to jump through official hoops to get planning and government approval.

However, not everyone was fully on board with the plan when Metro spoke with shoppers previously – or that the plan would ever happen.

In a bid to convince Londoners of the plan, a stretch of Oxford Street will be closed to traffic in September.

Where Oxford Street will close to traffic in September

A graphic map shows the area around Oxford Street will go traffic-free in September
This is where Oxford Street will be traffic-free for one day (Picture: Metro)

Traffic will be banned on Sunday, September 21, during a free event with music, food, fashion and heritage showcases.

No cars or bikes will be allowed between Orchard Street and Oxford Circus between midday and 8pm.

Khan said: ‘I’m excited to announce our landmark ‘This is Oxford Street’ event which will take place in September and offer Londoners, visitors, and businesses a glimpse of what the nation’s high street could look like in the future.

Cars, taxis and buses on Oxford Street.
Queues of taxis, buses and bikes will be removed from Oxford Street when the high street is pedestrianised (Picture: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire)

‘This is a fantastic opportunity to see Oxford Street in a whole new light, traffic-free, full of music, great food, pop-ups and entertainment for everyone. As Mayor, I’m determined to unlock Oxford Street’s true potential and deliver a world-class, accessible, clean, avenue.

‘So add the date to your diary, it’s going to be a fantastic day out as we reimagine the West End for everyone. This Is Oxford Street – vibrant, thriving and back on the map.’

The plans to revitalise Oxford Street will help boost the West End and footfall, Karim Fatehi from the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry said.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

He said: ‘We welcome the commitment to work with local businesses and residents to address logistical challenges and ensure the economic benefits are shared by everyone.’

How will Oxford Street look in the future?

The exact designs for the street are being drawn up and will be consulted on later this year.

A CGI visual showing what London Oxford Street could look like after pedestrianisation.
Early CGI visual envisions colourful wide promenade without cars, buses or bikes (Picture: Mayor of London/PA Wire)

If all goes to plan, Oxford Street will be turned into a traffic-free area for people, events and activities permanently.

All traffic, including buses and bikes, will be banned between Orchard Street, through Oxford Circus and up to Great Portland Street under the proposal.

When the City Hall asked around 6,600 Londoners this year what they thought of the plan, two-thirds said they supported the idea.

The majority of businesses in the area, like IKEA, John Lewis, Selfridges and New West End Company, have thrown their weight behind the plan.

Meave Hall, the executive director of Selfridges, said: ‘Selfridges has thrived on Oxford Street for well over 100 years and we’re hugely energised by the renewed commitment to make this area more enticing and attractive for locals and visitors from around the world.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

About admin